Thursday, February 19, 2009

I Want My Two Dollars

OK, so the title should read "I Want My $52.97, but I'll Take $53 Please." But it's not as catchy. Why should it read that? Because that is the amount that Dave & Buster's at 1030 N. Clark St in Chicago, IL (aka Goldcoast) owes me for purchasing a battery charger for a video camera. I needed to purchase this charger so that I could complete a video job for their annual (used to be semi-annual) All Store Meeting. I completed the project on the 21st of January and shipped the video to them on the 22nd. They received it on the 23rd.

A little background here. I used to work for D&B. When I moved to Chicago in 2001 I befriended someone that is a wiz in video editing, though it's not his profession. He agreed to help me with this introduction video a few times. He eventually moved away and I coincidentally got a new laptop and took up the task of doing the editing. I continued to work for D&B until February 2005.

At that time, I figured I had done my last video. So I was very happy and honored to be asked to do their video a few months later. Since I no longer worked for them I decided to do a trade with them for my services. Over the years it was a good relationship. I got to have some fun and get paid (in trade) for it.

When I moved down to San Antonio in June of last year (2008) I figured I had not only done my last D&B video, but also my last ESPN Zone video. Imagine my surprise at getting a text message saying in a somewhat matter-of-fact way that I was doing this year's video. I laughed at first and replied that they needed to send the camera, tape, and my trade payment along with a return label. I was told that would be no problem.

A week or so later the package arrives sans payment. And sans battery charger or power cord for the camera. A back and forth happens and eventually a week later I just go ahead and buy a battery charger. From Circuit City no less as they are the ONLY store in my city that carries this charger. No one else has it unless I want to order it online. I don't have that kind of time. It was agreed that I would be reimbursed monetarily too, not additional trade.

When I leave the store, things only get better. I walk out to find that I have a flat tire. Oh, and my spare is flat, of course. So another $80 or so spent, watch the inauguration at Firestone, then head home to finally import the entire footage. Around 4AM the next morning I finish the editing and I set the computer (the same computer I bought 5 years ago BTW) on the task of creating the movie file so I can watch it on the big screen TV. That afternoon it's all finished and two DVDs are burned. The next afternoon I go to FedEx to return everything.

A week goes by and I still haven't received my money (or trade). I inquire with my contact and am assured it will be sent. Another week, and the trade comes and more assurances the cash will be sent. A third week and I talk with the person that is actually in charge of getting the money and shipping it to me and assured it will be sent. ANOTHER WEEK and I am told, "you'll have it by Wednesday." That was yesterday, and today I'm writing a blog about it at 4:15AM. WTF? Cue Johnny:



Seriously. 4 weeks, and 20 newspapers later and I still haven't been paid. So it's time to take it to the next level. I am no longer Johnny the Paperboy from Better Off Dead. I am now Stewie from Family Guy. Cue Stewie:



Cue my hourly tweets to this blogpost via Twuffer. Cue my phone call to the GM when I wake up in the morning. And Cue me making private all of D&B Goldcoast's videos I (and my friend) have done over the years until I get paid. For an example of what they look like, feel free to go to my You Tube page and watch the ESPN Zone videos:

My You Tube Page

This is ridiculous. I mean, seriously. It's not like I'm destitute and am in dire need of $52.97. I'm not. The point is I shelled out my own money, spent time and gas, and had the fun time of sitting in a Firestone getting a new tire to complete a video that I was getting paid (in trade) about 1/10 of what a professional would get paid (plus the licensing fees for the music). All because I still know people there and do it as kind of a favor as they have no one else to do it. I also enjoy it tremendously.

So where's my money?

l8r,

Marz